Posted: September 23rd, 2022
Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, At affordable rates
Chapters 3 Assignment
SOC 3960-800: The Sociology of Everyday Life
Due Wednesday, September 21, 2022
20 points total
Provide a 3+ sentence answer to each of the following questions/prompts by relying on the information in Chapter 3. If including direct quotations from your textbook, use quotation marks and cite the page number: “Quoted text here” (p.#). Do NOT overuse quotations in your assignment. Rather, focus on explaining what the text means, in your own words, in order to demonstrate your understanding of the readings.
Chapter 3 Questions
1. What are the differences between primary socialization and secondary socialization? Provide two examples from you own life to illustrate the differences between primary and secondary socialization.
2. What are socializing agents (a.k.a. agents of socialization)? How do they help shape the formation of our self/identity?
3. How do the structural perspective and the symbolic interactionist perspective differ? Demonstrate this difference by explaining how each perspective would interpret the interaction between Cassie (child) and Gwen (mother).
4. What is role-taking? Why is role-taking important to successful socialization? Provide 2-3 examples from your own childhood to illustrate the practice of role-taking.
5. According to Mead’s stages of childhood development, what are the key differences between the play stage and the game stage? Explain your answer.
6. Annett Lareau’s (2011) research identifies two distinct parenting styles: concerted cultivation and accomplishment of natural growth. What are the differences between each parenting style? How is each connected to class and race?
7. What is a reference group? Who were your reference groups growing up? To what extent have your reference groups changed as an adult?
8. What is double-victimizing? How does this concept help us better understand children who are bullied?
9. What are the differences between a total institution and a reinventive institution? How could a prison that was originally designed to be a total institution be reconceptualized to made into a reinventive prison?
10. As page 71 instructs, using any of the conceptual tools and information that you have learned about in Chapter 3, provide your own brief analysis of the excerpts from “Home is Where the School Is.” *Note: There is no singular “right” way to do this.*
Any questions about Chapter 3 that you may have can be listed below:
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.